Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Needle Felted Acorns

Autumn is my favorite time of year. Life slows down a bit and I savor the gentle rustle of leaves whispering in the trees, the aroma of apple pies and pumpkins breads, and the anticipation of Halloween.

On a recent visit to Galena, I stopped in Fiber Wild to pick up some wool for felting. I made a few things, but these acorns are my favorite. They are very, very easy to make and look adorable scattered throughout your fall decorated home, or gathered in a basket with some colorful gourds.

First, you need some acorn tops. I liberated a handful from a neighbor's front yard. I don't think he minded. Find some wool for felting. There are a number of ways you can felt wool. You can felt using soap and water, or you can needle felt. Needle felting is a simple process of felting wool fibers using a needle that has tiny barbs on it.


When the needle is pushed into the wool, the wool fibers become fused together as a result.


As you felt the wool, mold your felt shape into an oval. Once you are done felting, hot glue the acorn top to your felted shape.



Total cost of project:

Wool felt: $7.95 for a package of 1/4 ounce of 16 colors
Felting needles and felting pad: $12.00
Acorn tops: free
Hot glue: $0 hand on hand

Estimated project time: about 15 minutes per acorn.

Next time you visit Galena, check out Fiber Wild of you are a knitter or enjoy fiber crafting.

Linked to:
http://www.pollywantacrafter.com/

and

2 comments:

  1. These are seriously cute! Thanks for stopping by Frou-FruGal and looking at my coat rack. I'm glad you liked it.

    I'm off to look through your site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend that does needle felting--it's so pretty! I've not tried it yet, but I LOVE these acorns! So very cute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP